What is the difference between lasik and contoura vision?
A high number of study data have significantly addressed the effect of environmental pollution on the ocular surface. Any form of impact to our eye ultimately compromises our ability to see.
Though our eyes have inbuilt ability to protect themselves, there are defects on the micro-structure of the eye, such as the complex conditions that affect the curvature of cornea or the eyeball. They need professional treatment from experienced eye surgeons to fix the curvature and improve your vision.
The most common or widely performed treatment to correct vision problems is the lasik eye surgery. However, advanced forms of lasik surgery, such as the contoura lasik surgery is technically optimised for a more individualised treatment.
Table of Content
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What Is Contoura Vision Eye Surgery?
- What Is Lasik Eye Surgery?
- What Is the Difference Between Contoura Surgery and Lasik Vision Surgery?
- Pros and Cons of Lasik and Contoura Vision Sugeries
Both Lasik and contoura vision treatments deals with the following vision problems:
- Nearsightedness (myopia): A condition where it is difficult to see distant objects due to the sharp curvature of the cornea or a slightly longer eyeball.
- Farsightedness (hyperopia): A condition where the nearby objects are blurred as light gets focussed behind the retina owing to a shorter eyeball or flattened cornea.
- Astigmatism: This condition affects both near and distant vision as the cornea flattens or curves unevenly.
In this article, we will dwell into an advanced form of lasik surgery and contoura vision surgery that has proven beneficial to many and know the difference between them.
1. What is Contoura Vision Eye Surgery?
Many times the effect of uneven curvature of cornea is corrected through lens and glasses. However, many opt to get rid of their glasses by undergoing laser surgery that precisely removes a tiny amount of corneal tissue to correct the refraction of light for a more focussed vision. Contoura lasik surgery is a type of laser surgery where an uneven cornea is shaped to focus light precisely on the retina and improve vision. It is an advanced form of laser surgery which has many technological capabilities in mapping the cornea for better surgical outcome.
As topography and microstructure of the eye is unique to a person, not all patients come with a single defect in the cornea and hence, the treatment should be tailored to the needs of the patient. Contoura vision surgery does exactly this by taking into account the minute imperfections of corneal curvature mediated through the use of automated corneal topography or corneal curvature map of the eye. This is much more precise than the details obtained through prescription glasses or lenses.
Contoura vision surgery cost in India varies with the expertise and infrastructure of the hospital. The estimated contoura vision cost in Delhi ranges from Rs. 95,000 to Rs. 1,15,000 for its treatment. The higher contoura vision cost in India is due to the added safety and improved visual outcome involved in the treatment.
2. What is Lasik Eye Surgery?
The vision problems can be corrected through eyeglasses or contact lenses that refracts light and position it correctly on the retina and turn the previously blurred image into a clear one. Lasik eye surgery, on the other hand, works by reshaping your cornea so that light focuses on the focal point of the retina for a better vision. Lasik eye surgery is a safe and pain-free simple procedure where the patient’s vision is stabilised within 24 hours of surgery. Initially a cut is made on the corneal flap using a mechanical surgical tool to expose the inner cornea (called stroma). This is followed by reshaping the cornea by removing a microscopic amount of tissue using an excimer laser.
The corneal topographer will precisely mark the shape of your cornea and adjust the excimer laser as per your prescription. In lasik treatment, the corneal mapping takes into account 200 points. More points are taken into account in the case of contoura vision surgery.
Based on the technicality and treatment plan, the lasik eye surgery cost in Delhi varies in the range between Rs. 75,000 and Rs. 90,000.
3. What Is the Difference Between Contoura Surgery and Lasik Vision Surgery?
Both contoura vision surgery and lasik surgery differs with the technical advancements and personalised treatment methodology. The difference in both the treatment procedures can be highlighted with the following points:
- Contoura vision surgery has an advancement over lasik surgery in its ability to map 22,000 points on cornea using corneal topography and wavefront analysis, providing a customised procedure for the patients. Lasik surgery also uses corneal mapping, but it takes into account 200 points which is less compared to the contoura vision surgery.
- The standard lasik surgery is mostly based on glasses or prescription lenses which is inferior to the technological advancement of contoura vision surgery.
- Contoura is an advanced surgery and it is not limited to vision correction. Rather, the technique is also used to treat abnormalities in cornea curvature.
Contoura vision surgery is approved by the US FDA for vision correction. It has enhanced diagnostic capabilities capable of providing personalised treatment for vision problems.
4. Pros and Cons of Lasik and Contoura Vision Surgeries
Lasik Vision Surgery
|It is quick and safe.||Not everyone is eligible due to age factor.|
|The surgery outcome is faster.||Lasik surgery risks are possible.|
|You can live without glasses or contacts after the treatment.||There is a slight chance that you will need lasik again.|
|The vision will be greatly improved.||The flaps are injured during the procedure.|
Contoura Vision Surgery
|Provides high quality vision||Not approved for any resurgery|
|Fewer side effects||Range for vision correction is limited|
|Removes less tissue|
|Beneficial for patients with astigmatism|
This brief discussion provides an overview of two types of vision correction surgeries – lasik surgery and contoura vision surgeries. Though both techniques have their own pros and cons, contoura has been effective for many patients where tissue damage is relatively less.
For more information, contact Dr Deepa Gupta, the best eye specialist, with over 8 years of experience in several vision correction treatment techniques. She has published research works related to cataract and refractive surgeries.
1. Is Contoura vision better than lasik?
Contoura vision treatment provides 22,000 mapping points of the corneal curvature compared to lasik surgery which is limited to 200. This gives an advantage over lasik in better performance and effective correction of refractive error.
2. Is contoura vision surgery safe?
Countora vision surgery has a technical advancement over lasik surgery in mapping the corneal curvature, giving it substantial leverage over other techniques in providing better results and broader scope. Moreover, contoura vision surgery is approved by US FDA for its higher safety in vision correction procedure.